Get ready to enjoy a new take on an ever-evolving dish with a healthy spring twist,
Asparagus Quiche with Bisquick Crust
The original recipe I found was authored by Lauren Haslett, a contributor to www.delish.com from Novi, Michigan, who has a passion for cooking and baking.
- 1 1/2 c. Bisquick
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp. shortening (Crisco), cold, cut into cubes
- 3-4 tbsp. ice water (as needed)
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 c. (2 fluid ounces) heavy cream
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/3 c. ricotta cheese
- 1/3 c. grated Parmesan
- 6-7 asparagus spears, rinsed, tough ends removed, and cut into thirds
- Combine Bisquick and flour in a large bowl. Cut in butter and shortening with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture begins to clump together.
- One tablespoon at a time, at the ice water, incorporating thoroughly between each tablespoon and using only enough to bring the dough together. Form dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll pie crust out into a circle and transfer to a 9-inch pie dish, pinching cracks or gaps together as needed and pressing it evenly into the pan.
- Whisk eggs and egg white together, then add the cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, ricotta, and Parmesan and whisk to combine. Pour filling into crust, then gently place asparagus pieces in a circular formation around the top of the quiche.
- Cover the crust edges with aluminum foil and carefully transfer pie plate to oven. Bake about 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake another 5-10 minutes, until filling is set and crust is lightly browned. Let cool at least 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.
For more healthy lifestyle tips, and good recipes don’t forget to follow: